Travel

We love to travel. Up until now our travel has been limited to work or pleasure. We are now adding LAMb activities to our travels! This blog will hopefully allow you to follow our adventures. Our thoughts, our views, dreams, and adventures. Follow along if you wish. If no one follows that's fine as well. It's just a place for us to remember . . .

Saturday, April 16, 2011

A Day of Rest - Wednesday

As I write this I am sitting at home on my couch after getting home just  12 hrs ago.  As I write I am reliving the last few days that we had while in Kyrgyzstan . . .

Wednesday brought us a day to relax a bit and head into Bishkek to do a little site seeing.  Since I had nothing scheduled for much of the morning I gave Julie Wright a call and asked her to pick me up to go to the university with her.  She teaches English and this morning it was for some first level students.  It was fun talking about myself and answering their questions.  After a bit, I then went over to Jayne Schooler's journalism class where they are doing a first ever yearbook.  Her assistant is Bekah Wright.  How fun to see these advanced students using their creativity to put this together in just a few short weeks.  I could see myself working with them . . .





The afternoon we left for Bishkek to get a chance to see the sites.  It was fascinating to be in the heart of Bishkek where just a year ago the area was riddled with the destruction from the revolution.  To walk amidst the area where many were killed was humbling.  So many lives were changed and are still feeling the effects.




"White House" - This building was on fire during the revolution last year.  This is the Presidential Government Building.

Memorial to those who lost their lives during the revolution last year.









This queen was threatened either give up the Kyrgy land or her son would be killed.  She refused and her son was killed.   Beautiful tribute and monument to her.

This was a monument in a garden put in by the Soviet Union during their control.

Lenin is a highly revered person in the Kyrgy history.  We found it interesting how they still have statues up for him where other countries toppled them. 

Zuhra and me in Bishkek.  She is such a sweetheart and really shared her country history with us.




Blessings!

Randy & Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment