Travel

We love to travel. Up until now our travel has been limited to work or pleasure. We are now adding LAMb activities to our travels! This blog will hopefully allow you to follow our adventures. Our thoughts, our views, dreams, and adventures. Follow along if you wish. If no one follows that's fine as well. It's just a place for us to remember . . .

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Dignity!

Kyrgyzstan is on my mind!  As I reflect on the news coming out of Libya, Egypt, Yemen, etc. it makes me realize how unstable, unknown, and unpredictable our world is.  A year ago April 7 the same thing happened in Kyrgyzstan.  The people rose up against the current leadership, riots ensued, people were killed, leadership resigned, and things calmed down.  Property was damaged, lives forever changed, families torn apart.  What has happened in the last year since that uprising?  I’ve read that inflation is looming due to the weakened economy as a result of the instability over the past year.  The uprising was sparked by rising prices for food, heat, everyday necessities.  Inflation will cause these prices to go up.  What does this mean for the people of this country?  What does the future hold?

When I began to reflect on my last blog, I realized my personal comforts were my focus.  I don’t want to lose the fact that I think about the loss of personal comforts of the people of Kyrgyzstan.  There is so much more than mine.

In our training session with mom & Lynn we were asked what we expect to get out of our trip.  The popular answer was to see lives changed, etc.  I AGREE with all of that and want to see the same!  Do you know what I want my trip to harvest?  I want it to harvest dignity.  I want to show the invalid men of Iskar that I love them, respect them.  I want to show the seniors that they are valued and not discarded former members of society as their families have shown them.  I want to show the orphans that someone loves them. 

In some of the blogs written by LAMb the word DIGNITY has been prevalent and rings loud in my ears.  Sooo, what do I want from this upcoming trip?  I want to show those who are hurting, dirty, sick, poor, rejected that they are respected and loved.  That we love them even more and that they DO have dignity in this crazy world of ours.

So, don’t judge me from my previous blog, part of me having my own dignity is looking good for myself and for my husband.  This is personal wants.  If I get dirty I don’t care.  That means I am sitting in the dump with the homeless, playing in the dirt with the children, and cooking and serving the seniors.  At the end of the day I just want the people I come in contact with go to bed with a smile on their face and maybe experience a GREAT nights sleep for the first time in a long time just because someone showed them dignity.

More later – there is a lot on my mind as this trip approaches.

Blessings!

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment